[Linux-aus] Proposed MicroLUG

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 21:27:07 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Don Knowles <donakk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rockhampton LUG (MicroLUG) : Here goes nothing!

Brilliant

> Having just read an article "Do we still need LUGs?"
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118046
> on Linux.com, refered from Slashdot newsletter, I have to say, I don't know.

They are good if you like coffee or munchies or hands on stuff with
your geek banter. They are also good if you want to do an event kind
of thing. Would be wonderful to get a bit of flow around.

Local community centres can be good allies.
While you are not a formal org they will often consider you a member
of their org for events purposes. this helps spread the word in
itself.

> If push comes to shove, I could potentially set up a demo here in my own home,
> as I have added a 5 port N-way switch to my ADSL modem router.
> (I'll throw a dust cover over the wife's Windows PC and pretend it's not there)

Or see of you can set up a third one for her so she can try out.
I was a spouse conversion =)
The ubuntu box was initially safer for websurfing and email
but I still had a need/want for specific apps.
When the bandwidth goes to the ubuntu box you get comfortable there.
And so it goes.

Janet =)