[Linux-aus] Proposed MicroLUG

Don Knowles donakk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 16:22:28 UTC 2007

Rockhampton LUG (MicroLUG) : Here goes nothing!

Having just read an article "Do we still need LUGs?"
http://www.linux.com/feature/118046
on Linux.com, refered from Slashdot newsletter, I have to say, I don't know.

We had a branch of ACS (Australian Computer Society) here in
Rockhampton, but when they couldn't raise any appointees for
President/Secretary/Treasurer two years running, it flopped.

So, I don't propose to immediately attempt to set up a meeting room with
Internet access/power ... or indeed any sort of meeting room.

But, if acceptable to the committee, I would like to have an entry
(basically the email address rocklug at gmail.com) on the LUG page on the
Linux Australia website ... as a point of contact here in Rockhampton.

If push comes to shove, I could potentially set up a demo here in my own home,
as I have added a 5 port N-way switch to my ADSL modem router.
(I'll throw a dust cover over the wife's Windows PC and pretend it's not there)

But, that would pre-suppose any interested parties getting in contact.
Since I managed to get a total of 4 people to even talk about Linux,
I'm not going to hold my breath.

Oh, I did apply for membership of Linux Australia, I'm supposing it
got lost in all the dramas with server problems/rebuilds earlier this
year. Is membership a requirement, for an entry on the website?