Re: [Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Janet Hawtin wrote:

I went to a meeting in SA yesterday about a proposed national Natioal Not for Profit ICT Coalition. Where ACS and CISA were proposing to have a system whereby ACS or a central group provided Accreditation to IT folk who want to access the not for profit sector to provide IT services.

The model was proposed to be a way to provide trusted IT services.
It was proposed that this could be expanded to cover financial services etc.

The model is proposed to have a group which provides accreditation
and a second group to broker access to the ngo sector.

ACS looked to be a player for the first group and the interview and this
http://www.acs.org.au/news/110806.htm
lead me to think that this is an overall goal of ACS for IT.

CISA look to be aiming for the broker role at least for SA and NGO sector.

The models of similar structures included:
http://www.icthub.org.uk
http://www.nten.org
http://compumentor.org
http://techsoup.org
http://sangonet.org.za
http://www.npower.org/about/index.htm

Which uniformly are systems whereby there is a central control over
who is trusted
and there is only very little, and commonly innacurate information
available through these portals on FOSS technologies and solutions
which offer very real synergies with the not for profit sector.

Given that my husband who has a degree was refused membership to ACS
because they didnt like the stripe of his degree I have concerns that
the choices made by ACS as a broker of IT trusted providers will
besimilary partisan.

Janet

I think that the ACS has some good points, and could be useful, as the ACS supposedly, regulates its membership, in terms of standards, including ethics, and, provides certification, and, ongoing training, to its members.

However, Anne was contacted at work, by someone from the ACS, to solicit membership of the ACS, so I looked into it for her (MACS can be a useful status, in obtaining work, both employment as an individual, and, where a contractor has workers who are MACS, or SMACS, that could be useful).

I found that membership of the ACS costs $320 per year, with an extra $110 joining fee. Those fees are the pesent fees.

I also found that Anne's PostGraduate Diploma in Computer Science, from Curtin University, is not recognised by the ACS. The PostGrad Dip CompSc is the equivalent of an honours degree. For the ACS to accredit pass degrees, but not the PostGrad Dip, shows a lack of professional maturity on the part of the ACS, in my opinion.

The information in the last two paragraphs, was obtained from the ACS web site, in the last couple of days.

I also looked at the IEEE Computer Society (www.computer.org), for comparison, as both Anne and I have in the past been members. Membership costs 110USD per year, and, subscription to the Digital Library, costs 119USD per year, for professional membership; a total of 229USD per year, or 305AUD, using an exchange rate of 0.75USD per AUD.

I think that the IEEE Computer Society membership would be more beneficial, and, better value for money, than ACS membership.

Perhaps, your husband could investigate joing the IEEE Computer Society, Janet.

I note that I have previously mentioned the SLPWA, in relation to another thread on this list. Perhaps, Linux Australia could investigate the possible creation of a similar organisation at the federal/national level.

One thing that concerns me about the ACS proposal, as described, is the monopoly nature of it. Ther are a number of problems with monopolies (quite apart from the spirit of monopolies, being contrary to free trade and competition). I remember what was said about the formation of the National Union of Students in Astralia, which later became the AUS (or the other way around), which was basically, that it was hatched out of the office of the then federal minister of Education, John Dawkins, and was thus controlled by the federal government, especially by the ALP, was was solely a partisan institution, pro-ALP. This may have been why there was no apparent opposition to the imposition of the "Administration Fee" for tertiary education in Australia, that started at $100 per year, and, evolved (by the ALP) into what became HECS, and is now known as HELP (?), which leaves graduates with massive debts (although, not as bad as the NZ post-tertiary debts). It is possible (and, O believe, highly likely), that the objective of the creation of that organisation, was to prevent opposition to the imposition of HECS.
From what I understand, if it had happened in the 1960's, or 1970's, the
universities would have had massive disruption, involving protests, sit-ins, and, possible rioting, due to the end of free tertiay education, but, instead, the formation of the NUS/AUS, ensured thast there was no significant opposition.

The point with this, is that a supposedly representative body at the national level, was apparently in bed with the federal government, and, especially with the ALP, and, subsequently represented those interests, instead of the interests of its members. If the ACS is allowed to similarly obtain compulsory membership (this sounds alot like compulsory union membership, both for trades and tertiary students, which the federal government is supposed to be firmly against, and has taken action to abolish), in collusion with the goverment, then the motives, and, the subsequent interests, and direction, of the ACS, would need to be investigated (perhaps, by the ACCC?). It could be (but not limited to) a covert way of imposing USA intellectual property domination of the Australian IT industry ("You claim that you wrote that module/program/database? Well, it looks remarkably like the equivalent, in this Microsft program, so, we are going to sue you for 100 million USD, for copyright infringement, and, we estimate that it will take about 10 years, and cost about 300 million USD, for you to defend the suit, unless you give us the rights to all of the products that you have developed, and, all of your assets, including your home and your superannuation entitlements, as they are clearly obtained from the work that you have done, that is like the Microsft software, and we will spend the next ten years and 300 million USD, proving it, unless you surrender, now.") Similarly in a recent case; SCO UNIX and Linux. And, it must be remembered, that, in the courts, nothing is certain, and, no matter how right or legal something is, a decision can always go in an unespected direction.

So, with what is in that paragraph, and, the text above, I have great concerns, about the ACS proposal.

Now, there is also another, significant aspect.

I am a member of various incorporated non-profit organisations, and, I operate web sites for some of those, and, other non-profit organisations. I do that for no personal gain. Why hould I have to join some pompous commercial organisation governed by self-interest, so that I can be allowed to help non-profit organisations? And, in one of the organisations, both Anne and I had created databases to manage various functions of the organisation, and, in another organisation of which we are members, one of the governing council has created a daatabase, like (but not exactly) a membership database, and it is possible that Anne and I could, in the future, do similar computing work for that organisation, free of charge. The man who created the database, as far as I am aware, has no formal training in computing; he just knocked up a simple database, to assist him in his role as an office bearer of that organisation.

Why should people, who are willing to do something for a non-profiit organisation, for free, or, perhaps, for reduced rates, be required to join some commercial organisation that is governed by self-interest?

I personally believe that the imposition of manadatory membership, of people who do work for non-profit organisations, with the proposal involving the ACS, is no more than an opportunistic profiteering attempt by the ACS, with highly suspicious motives otherwise, being proposed to be done, "in bed with the government".

And, as those of you who participate in the running of incorporated, non-profit organisations, are no doubt aware, it is already, sufficiently difficult to get people to fill office-bearer positions, and, to get people to do tasks for no (or reduced) reward ("We need someone to operate and enhance our website, and we need someone to create and maintain a membership database and other databases for us, and we will not be paying you anything, but you will have to pay the ACS $430 up front, and, $320 a year, to be allowed to do it. Now, who is going to volunteer?").

So, from the information that has already been given, and, considering the above material, I think that the answer to the ACS proposal,is very much like the "Be scared, be very scared" scenario, and should be boycotted.

By the way, what is the CISA?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale