[Linux-aus] Voting has started

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Wed Jan 18 12:28:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 10:45 +0800, skribe wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:37, Stewart Smith wrote:
>
> > There is no code (currently) to handle a candidate (i.e. somebody who
> > has accepted a nomination) from withdrawing it. I have done this
> > manually.
>
> Why can't a web page listing the candidates be done manually?

then how do you have that interact with the voting? You don't, so it
doesn't work.

It needs to be integrated into the election code. A bit of UI foo, an
ALTER TABLE and a view or two should do it.

> > The number of candidates *does* match those on the ballot. The number of
> > nominees is differnt than the number of candidates.
>
> But we don't know which candidates have accepted.  We have a page for the noms
> which include who nommed them plus the occasional blurb. Why not a separate
> page for just the candidates + the blurbs?  I suspect that's all most of us
> are interested in.  Someone pedantic, such as myself =), might ask to see the
> noms, but it's the candidates we want to really know about.

We do have a list of which *NOMINEES* have accepted. They're the
candidates. Note the distinction between nominees and candidates!

Nominees have people saying why they nominated them.

*CANDIDATES* have a spiel saying why they accepted the nomination and
are standing for office.

During the nomination period, you really do want to know about who has
been nominated already.

Also, during voting, looking at why somebody was nominated (and not just
their own spiel) is valuable.

> > It would be possible (if desired) to put the spiels on the ballot paper
> > though.
>
> Ballots should always be KISS.

They are. This is about as KISS as it gets for how the members want to
do voting (at least nobody has brought up changing the system of
election).
--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
Committee Member, Linux Australia