[Linux-aus] Linux Trademark

Paul Moore linux-aus at astute-systems.com
Fri Sep 16 10:49:02 UTC 2005

Hi Linux-Aus, Jeremy,

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 22:10 +1000, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-15-09 at 19:12 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > So, the question is where to go from here.

I'd be interested in what percentage of the commercial Linux community
in Australia responded to Jeremys mailing, and whether higher response
rates might be able to be gained by making the stat. dec. easier to
complete. I did not return the stat. dec. on behalf of Astute Systems
(Red Hat Business Partner, Systems Integrator, Red Hat
Instructor/Examiner - QLD).

Our main problem was that we were not only required to say that we
support the application in it's entirety, and Linus' rights to Linux,
but also we were required to say that we used the term "Linux" in
association with our products and services. - The last item was arguably
not true since "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" is not our product at all, and
even "Linux Systems Integrator" would be a descriptive use, and not the
name of a product or service.

There's also the interesting question of whether many of the business
community use "Linux" as a term to mean the GNU/Linux combination -
certainly the media do, and try as I might, my students seem to
want to as well.

By the way, I/we are totally behind the application and want it to
succeed for the good of us all, we're even quite happy and willing to
pay the $700 US to LMI. - We just didn't feel we could actually sign the
stat. dec.
Regards,

Paul Moore <pmoore at astute-systems.com>
Director, Astute Systems
Red Hat Certified Engineer / Instructor / Examiner # 803004540512030
Verify it at http://www.redhat.com/training/certification/verify.

Mobile: +61 (0)4 1188 7926
Office: +61 (0)7 3891 9159
Fax: +61 (0)7 3411 5085

Postal: GPO Box 3076 Brisbane Q 4001 Australia
Legal: ACN 091 486 270 / ABN 52 091 486 270