[Linux-aus] Research Project

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Nov 26 00:45:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Stewart Smith wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:11:24 +1100
> From: Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.org.au>
> To: linux-aus <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Research Project
>
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 07:52, Pia Smith wrote:
> > I guess I see the worth here in that we have serious
> > lawyers/intellectuals/industry types doing a proper independent
> > investigation into the existing IP systems. When LA talk, what we say is
> > taken very much with a grain of salt. [snip]
>
> We (the ctte) perceive the whole copyright and software patents issues
> to be very important to our community and we are doing our best to make
> sure we act in the interests of our members.
>
> However, if you don't think we're doing the right thing, or if you think
> we should be doing things differently - NOW IS THE TIME TO SPEAK UP!
> Debate and discussion is good.
>
> Also, if you think we're rocking on - say so, it gives us a warm fuzzy
> feeling - and no, i'm not talking about monitor static.

Unless I am mistaken, in the last week, the ABC has had a program about
intellectual property, which effectively said that the feral government
will be changing intellectual property law in Australia, within the
next few months, to more or less give control of intellectual property
in Australia, to the USA ("bringing intellectual property law in
Australia, in line with the USA".).

It appears that the feral government has basically given the finger to
Australian interests in the intellectual property issue.