[Linux-aus] Hardware resellers of the world, rejoice!

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Thu May 6 09:45:01 UTC 2004

Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:

> I seriously don't think even Microsoft are that insane.

It is consistent with previous releases and hardware cycles. They can and
do
drive hardware up. If you're calling them insane because you think it won't
happen, I don't think it's insane at all.
<<

In 1986 or '87 (from memory), Bill Gates was keynote speaker at the annual
ACS PC Conference. In his speech, he stated - and this is pretty much
word-for-word, as it shocked me at the time and stuck in my memory - "We
had three goals in mind when we introduced Windows: 1. Multitasking. 2:
Graphical user interface. 3. To stimulate consumer demand for more
sophisticated hardware". (Point 3 is *definitely* his precise phrase).

I interpreted this to mean that Microsoft sees itself in the business of
selling hardware for its business partners. Of course, as one hand washes
the other, so Microsoft was able to depend on the hardware vendors to
uncomplainingly preload Windows for them, and remove the ability of the
consumer to choose. This has never been stated explicitly, and it's not a
conspiracy, per se, but it's a nice arrangement for the players involved.
Pity about the poor old customer, though. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]