[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Mar 4 15:26:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:13:31PM +1100, Rusty Russell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:04, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > <quote who="Anthony Towns">
> >
> > > Yay. Linux DVD playing is doomed.
> > >
> > > 7(e) then goes on to limit the exceptions that can be created to:
> > >
> > > 	(i) reverse engineering for interoperability
> >
> > This one leaves me feeling comfortable enough to write DVD playback software
> > already, without the later clause.
>
> Bad Anthony paraphrased.  Here's the section:
>  "non-infringing reverse engineering activities with regard to a
> lawfully obtained copy of a computer program, carried out in good faith
> with respect to the paraticular elements of that computer program that
> have not been readily available to the person egnaged in such activity,
> for the sole purpose of achieving interoparability of an independently
> created computer program with other programs"
>
> ie. is a DVD a computer program?  If not, you're SOL.

Well, it has a whole bunch of executable code that's probably enough to
class it as a 'program', and I don't know what a DVD player is if not a
computer ...

--
Daniel Stone                                              <daniel at fooishbar.org>
"The programs are documented fully by _The Rise and Fall of a Fooish Bar_,