[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Mar 4 15:17:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:04, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> <quote who="Anthony Towns">
>
> > Yay. Linux DVD playing is doomed.
> >
> > 7(e) then goes on to limit the exceptions that can be created to:
> >
> > 	(i) reverse engineering for interoperability
>
> This one leaves me feeling comfortable enough to write DVD playback software
> already, without the later clause.

Bad Anthony paraphrased.  Here's the section:
 "non-infringing reverse engineering activities with regard to a
lawfully obtained copy of a computer program, carried out in good faith
with respect to the paraticular elements of that computer program that
have not been readily available to the person egnaged in such activity,
for the sole purpose of achieving interoparability of an independently
created computer program with other programs"

ie. is a DVD a computer program?  If not, you're SOL.

Rusty.
--
Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an idiot -- Rusty Russell