[Lias] An opportunity to grab!

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Wed May 3 10:44:02 UTC 2006

Go for it,

However I think there will need to be more than just FOSS.  One of the
things they (teachers) fear is having their schools results compared to
private schools where students are issued (or more often required to
purchase) a laptop *each*.  Availability of hardware is clearly an issue.

Where FOSS could arguably help is in addressing the concern that:
"The State Government has not ensured ... that there has been enough
technical support for the computer systems to work properly."

Centralised systems (such as LTSP) make this task much easier.  In our
local promary school, class computer maintenance is simplified by
proividing a standard HDD image on a central server.  If a machine gets
corrupted (and these are Macs) they can be network booted and a clean
image reinstalled with the press of a couple of buttons (restart while
holding doen magic keys).  All files are keps on a central server so
there is no data loss.  Solutions for teachers in public schools need to
be this simple as there are no staff dedicated to IT maintenence.

Further, be aware of some teachers seeing the FOSS platform as a second
rate solution and that their kids need to have equitable access to
mainstream platforms.  This is (apparently) a very reasonable argument
that most will agree with (unless they are reasonably computer
literate).  A clear demonstration needs to be made that computer
literacy is != windows literacy or ms word literacy for the FOSS
community to be confident that they have the right argument.  Perhaps
there are schools out there that use FOSS already that can lend weight
(one way or another) to this argument.  It would also be worth comparing
results in Aust schools computer competitions for kids from schools that
have predominantly Mac computers vs Windows computers - does platform
choice impact the all important test results here?

Finally teachers clearly want more money from the government here - for
hardware but also for training and staffing.  It will be equally
important to work with government to explain the cost benefits of FOSS.
If they can afford the training because of a FOSS choice then there may
be a path forward.

BTW, even in homes where computers are available, software choice at
school impacts on parents budgets.  If the kids are required to deliver
"powerpoints" then this may have the effect of pushing parents into
expensive software purchases that they can ill-afford (or using illegal
SW copies).  FOSS software can be provided by the school, free of
charge, too all students who will then share a common computing
experience - eliminating this inequity and providing a much higher
degree of compatability than is currently available WRT computer based
homework.

 (BTW OOO for mac sux a bit. google neooffice for a more native port)

just my (still interested) thoughts

Good luck - and keep us posted.