[Lias] Re: Spam filters

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Tue Apr 26 11:42:02 UTC 2005

John Glennie wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> Do you know if there is a Linux 'free' spam filter??
>
> We are getting increasing amounts of spam and I would like to test
> something before spending money on Windows based commercial solutions.

I highly recommend the combination of postfix, amavisd-new,
spamassassin, and clamav.  I followed the process documented at
http://www.fatofthelan.com/articles/articles.php?pid=22

I'm using this for my home email server and have found it to be very
good.  I haven't had any false positives on spam or viruses yet.  If
anything, the suggested value of 5.0 for $sa_tag2_level_deflt is a bit
too conservative, and i've played with bumping it up a bit at a time
(i think my home server is around 6 or 7 now).

(I'm cc-ing the mailing lists in case the link above is useful to
anyone.  It's targeted at Debian, but should work extremely well on
SuSE and other distributions.  All of the above software is available
on SLES9 and SuSE Pro 9.2.)

--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia