[Lias] Re: lias digest, Vol 1 #241 - 6 msgs

Paul Gear pgear at redlands.qld.edu.au
Tue Sep 7 06:36:03 UTC 2004

Roger BUCK wrote:
>> Nick Oliver wrote:
>>  Has anyone used Koha? www.koha.org
>
>> Paul Gear wrote:
>
>> Yes, but not for a few months.  When we looked at it, it was too
>> primitive, and built by and for library geeks - not for the average
>> teacher-librarian.

> Not so sure about the "primitive" - Koha provides some pretty extensive
> and sophisticated features, including support for "marc" and is used in
> some large scale, international Gov + Edu libraries. Like any
> sophisticated tool, it takes a while to  break through the somewhat
> daunting and apparent initial complexity.

When i said primitive, i was thinking more from an interface
perspective, not actual software complexity.

> Koha has done well for our (specific) needs but it takes a _lot_ of
> getting used to.

If i had the time, i would like to take up the challenge and start
adapting one of the free library packages to our needs, but i have
nearl 400 computers to manage and a lot of other areas of need in our
school.  Oh, for spare time!  ;-)

> I'd agree there are much more friendly options (such as above), better
> suited for general use in the average NSW school :)

| sed -e 's/NSW//'   # :-)

Paul

P.S.  Don't forget my library software survey!  :-)  I can only keep
it open for a certain number of days at Zoomerang.
--
Paul Gear, Manager IT Operations, Redlands College
38 Anson Road, Wellington Point 4160, Australia