[Lias] Re: lias digest, Vol 1 #241 - 6 msgs

Roger BUCK rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 17:33:05 UTC 2004

 > Nick Oliver wrote:
 >  Has anyone used Koha? www.koha.org

 > Paul Gear wrote:

>Yes, but not for a few months.  When we looked at it, it was too
>primitive, and built by and for library geeks - not for the average
>teacher-librarian.

[--snip--]

Having used a highly customised version of Koha for a couple of years,
I'd generally agree with the "built by and for library geeks" :)

Not so sure about the "primitive" - Koha provides some pretty extensive
and sophisticated features, including support for "marc" and is used in
some large scale, international Gov + Edu libraries. Like any
sophisticated tool, it takes a while to  break through the somewhat
daunting and apparent initial complexity.

Koha has done well for our (specific) needs but it takes a _lot_ of
getting used to.

I'd agree there are much more friendly options (such as above), better
suited for general use in the average NSW school :)

R.