[Lias] pGina for authenticating windows against practically anything...

Gary Reynolds gary at touch.asn.au
Thu Sep 25 08:39:03 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

In my role here at the University of Sydney, I've been lucky enough to
be forced into learning about LDAP about 2-3 years ago for the
authentication of our website.  One of the real problems I had was the
inability to use the accounts in the directory for authenticating
windows machines.

I have no need for a PDC, we only want a workgroup, so I wasn't really
prepared to setup samba and have to go through the whole process of
adding machines to the domain, yada yada. I need windows file sharing
from a central server which samba is dealing with quite well. I know
samba can be configured to use ldap, but had no real joy there (plus
the extra schema and attributes i'd have to add to the directory aren't
worth the effort).

Enter pGina as a replacement for the normal w2k/wxp login window - can
be configured to use any one of a number of modules, including ldap.
Now we have students able to actually live in a single signon world (at
least within our faculty, the university still has a separate login
system which we will (once the get their global directory sorted) use)
and life couldn't be sweeter.

I would suggest to all of you to have a peek at this nifty piece of
work - worth it's weight in gold, and it will really make you want to
get that directory project you've been thinking about off the ground.

http://pgina.xpasystems.com/

Can also use it to auth against mysql, pop3, pam, nis, etc... or roll
your own plugin if you have something else.

Cheers,
Gary