[Lias] win2k clients slow to login to RH samba pdc

Nick Oliver nick at linux.act.edu.au
Wed Sep 10 11:37:02 UTC 2003

Hello samba gurus!
We have a RH9.0 Samba PDC that authenticates 130 win2K (spII)
workstations using LDAP and at the start of class the users experience
5-6 minute delays while they wait to login. The server is a Dell 2500
with a single PIII 1gig cpu and 1.5gig RAM. Each user has a roaming
profile (!!) and five shares to collect.
We've tuned smb.conf to ensure that username level = 4
     password level = 0

We've tuned slapd.conf to ensure that cachesize = 100000 and
dbcachesize = 1000000

Question. What makes win2k logins so slow? What should we look at to
increase the performance of the Samba PDC and LDAP for win2K logins?

Nick Oliver
Lyneham High School
Canberra Australia