[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Sep 2 11:28:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 07:44, Ken Yap wrote:
> I found that the number of lock ups caused by the web browser went
> down significantly when I set the cache sizes in the browser to 0 and
> used squid instead as a big shared cache. I'm using firebird.

Using both Firebird and Konqueror here. Haven't locked Firebird up yet,
but I do run VeryNice and give it permission to axe kdeinit tasks since
sometimes they get carried away (the renegades usually self-destruct
but not always). I'd like to mod VeryNice so it butchers memory hogs as
well.

Related general observation: OpenOffice 1.1rc3 is much less resource
hungry (and faster) than 1.0.*.

Cheers; Leon

http://plug.linux.org.au/       Committee Member, Perth Linux User Group
http://slpwa.asn.au/            Committee Member, Linux Professionals WA