[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Phil Scarratt lias at draxsen.com
Tue Sep 2 09:26:02 UTC 2003

Simon Bryan wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would like some opinions and feedback on my experiences so far with trying to
> setup Linux for desktop use in the school.
>
> We are using RH on a Linux Terminal Server:
> The GOOD:
> Use legacy machines
> Takes only 5 minutes to setup a new workstation
> Plenty of applications
> License costs are almost non-existent
>
> The BAD:
> Seems impossible to create and maintain a standard desktop for users a la Windows
> Profiles
/etc/skel should work. At the very least a script run at logon to
restore various items has to work. All things linux are stored in
files...it's just a matter of finding where and copying. We used KDE
which I think is a little easier to maintain a common desktop - could be
wrong...
> I get many web browser crashes (java related I think - especially with Galeon) that
> lock the session and persist beyond a logoff and login. The only solution I have
> found is to delete and re-create the user directory, which is not very satisfactory!
I'd agree not satisfactory at all!! We used to have a lot of problems
causing session freeze (and sometimes persisted beyond logoff), however,
these were to do with user processes hanging around (particularly
Netscape and every so often with OpenOffice). Killing off the processes
fixed it. I used Galeon for awhile and found it unstable on LTSP. We
have Mozilla and Konqueror (KDE's browser - unfortunately not overly
DHTML/CSS compliant) available as browsers and seems to work OK.
> Difficult, if not impossible, to 'map' drives so that users can get data from a
> range of sources.
Also, one of the things we restore in a users "profile" is a link on the
desktop to various "shares". This could either be a link on the desktop
or in their home drive - incidentally with our LTSP, the /home directory
on the server is NFS mounted to the LTSP terminal as /home (or the
location as specified in /etc/passwd) hence when a user logs on, their
home directory is the same as if they logged on locally to the server.
These same home directories are also shared via SMB for the windows side
of the network - hence the same directory is accessed under windows and
ltsp. As I can see from other emails, this doesn't apply directly but
should be able to be modified to suit - have you tried NFS mounting the
SMB mounted share from the server? Not sure if this is possible or not.