[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Phil Scarratt lias at draxsen.com
Tue Sep 2 09:17:02 UTC 2003

Simon Bryan wrote:

> Andrew Dorrell said:
>
>>Simon Bryan wrote:
>>

>>>I feel at the moment that the 'Bad' outweigh the 'Good'. Any opinions? Feel free
>>>tell ma I am an idiot and all the listed 'Bad' things are just my ignorance! :-)
>>
>>I hope that kind of attitude is a thing of linux's past - not present.
>
> That was said in a spirit of fun :-)
>

>>Perhaps you could post a few more details of your setup.  From Ken's
>>reply I sense you are talking about a LTSP setup?  This is important as
>>I personally have almost never had a browser crash under linux using
>

> yes it is an LTSP setup using winbind to authenticate against an NT domain.
> The users home directories are created on the fly when they first login using
> pam_mkhomedir.
> Their real home directories are on another Linux server being shared via Samba

Ahhh...this is different to our setup. We are running all servers Linux,
with SMB acting as an PDC....makes it a little easier with the sharing
of home directories

>>Having said that, it is my humble opinion that KDE is the only desktop
>>that works well enough to be presented to an arbitrary unqualified
>>audience... but it is relatively fat and doesn't seem to be popular for
>>LTSP.
>
> I am not sure how to change this, we appear to be busing Gnome/KDE, at least that is
> what the menus say.

We use KDE for LTSP and had no problems (or little anyway). KDE3 seemed
to be much better than KDE2 also...had a lot of problems with KDE2 that
disappeared with KDE3.