[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 09:04:01 UTC 2003

That was said in a spirit of fun :-)

> Perhaps you could post a few more details of your setup.  From Ken's
> reply I sense you are talking about a LTSP setup?  This is important as
> I personally have almost never had a browser crash under linux using

yes it is an LTSP setup using winbind to authenticate against an NT domain.
The users home directories are created on the fly when they first login using
pam_mkhomedir.
Their real home directories are on another Linux server being shared via Samba

> Having said that, it is my humble opinion that KDE is the only desktop
> that works well enough to be presented to an arbitrary unqualified
> audience... but it is relatively fat and doesn't seem to be popular for
> LTSP.
I am not sure how to change this, we appear to be busing Gnome/KDE, at least that is
what the menus say.

> As for standardising the desktop, I don't know quite how things work
> under LTSP, but with KDE the "standard desktop lives under /usr/share
> and user specific mods are kept in ~/.kde... which is pretty
> windows-like... perhaps a bit cleaner IMO.  You can possibly make
> ~/.kde/share read only to prevent customisation.  Take a look at the
> listing from 'rpm -ql kdebase'

Hmm, this sounds good. Need to investigate then how to change to the KDE desktop.