[Lias] Linux on the desktop - NO?

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 07:32:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I would like some opinions and feedback on my experiences so far with trying to
setup Linux for desktop use in the school.

We are using RH on a Linux Terminal Server:
The GOOD:
Use legacy machines
Takes only 5 minutes to setup a new workstation
Plenty of applications
License costs are almost non-existent

The BAD:
Seems impossible to create and maintain a standard desktop for users a la Windows
Profiles
I get many web browser crashes (java related I think - especially with Galeon) that
lock the session and persist beyond a logoff and login. The only solution I have
found is to delete and re-create the user directory, which is not very satisfactory!
Difficult, if not impossible, to 'map' drives so that users can get data from a
range of sources.

I feel at the moment that the 'Bad' outweigh the 'Good'. Any opinions? Feel free to
tell ma I am an idiot and all the listed 'Bad' things are just my ignorance! :-)