[Lias] School Intranet Server - Functionality & Requirements

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Fri Mar 28 09:27:01 UTC 2003

Interesting comments on email.  My experience: don't touch it.

DET provides their own webmail interface for staff and is looking at
expanding it.  I don't like their system much but they maintain it.
Anything you add will only cause confusion (sorry - I've just been there
...several times)  You will also run into duty of care concerns with
email as it is difficult (impossible) for teachers to monitor what the
kids are doing with it.

Setting up an intra-net homepage is practical and a very good idea IMO -
  put a form on it for a google safe search.... One thing I also setup
in the past was a page that teachers could add bookmarks to (via a
frm/cgi interface)... I'm moving away from this however towards things
like wiki (for better or worse)

--
Andrew Dorrell PhD.        Senior Research Engineer
Canon Information Systems Research Australia     Phone: 61 2 9805 2224