[Lias] libcrypto

ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 17 06:43:02 UTC 2003

>I'm setting up a machine as a mail server - RH 7.1
>
>Have uninstalled  (rpm -e) sendmail and installed postfix.
>
>When checking dependencies it tells me postfix needs libcrypto.so.0 and
>libssl.so.0
>
>Downloaded openssl-0 9.6-2.i386.rpm and installed it. Then got some
>endless loop involving other packages requiring libcrypto.so.1
>
>Is it possible to have 2 versions of openssl on the same machine?

This often happens with old distros where one package (in this case
postfix) gets out of sync with others due to upgrades.

In situations like these, I take the .src.rpm and build a binary rpm
from that, then it uses whatever shared libraries are actually
installed.

You say you're setting up. If you started off with a bare machine, then
why not install the most recent distro? 7.1 will probably be taken off
support within a year, though I expect they will release patches for the
most urgent holes after that.