[Lias] FYI: Apache Directory Directives - Sub-dir override

Simon Bryan sbryan at olmc.nsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 15:30:02 UTC 2003

> The goal is to give each kid a home directory (which includes a
> "public_html" directory, actually renamed to "website") so that we can
> avoid problems with shared access, kids over-writing each others' work,
> etc. I think the easiest way to do this will be to configure the Linux box
> as a domain controller, and just ignore the NT box altogether. Or
> use NT as
> the domain controller, create accounts on both and make the Linux box a
> member of the domain. Urk . . suddenly, my brain hurts - the last time I
> read the NT WRK networking documentation, I concluded that it was written
> by a clueless moron, and I doubt things have improved much. . .

This is very achievable and must be simple cause I have done it - with lots
of input from lists like this.
Basically I have the users and passwords on NT, users only on the Linux
server with their home direcotries.
Running SAMBA to share the home directories back to the Windows system using
the 'homes' share, map a drive on login to the home directory on the SAMBA
server using the %U variable