[Lias] FYI: Apache Directory Directives - Sub-dir override

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Tue Mar 4 12:39:02 UTC 2003

Gary Reynolds <garyr at sdp.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

I would suggest setting up an ldap server, and authenticating users
against it (via PAM for shell access, or auth_ldap for Apache). It is so
much more flexible than having system users as your authentication
mechanism.
<<

You make a compelling argument, Gary. That would certainly be easier to do
with RH 7.3, which is what I'm planning to use as the basis for this setup,
and which doesn't include mod_auth_pam by default. Another consideration
would be the need to integrate with the school's existing NT server setup -
I haven't even *looked* at that yet (and I'm not sure I want to).

The goal is to give each kid a home directory (which includes a
"public_html" directory, actually renamed to "website") so that we can
avoid problems with shared access, kids over-writing each others' work,
etc. I think the easiest way to do this will be to configure the Linux box
as a domain controller, and just ignore the NT box altogether. Or use NT as
the domain controller, create accounts on both and make the Linux box a
member of the domain. Urk . . suddenly, my brain hurts - the last time I
read the NT WRK networking documentation, I concluded that it was written
by a clueless moron, and I doubt things have improved much. . .

My 2c.
<<

Money well spent. Thanks,

Best,