[Lias] Apache Directory Directives - Sub-dir override

Tom Doyle tom at stvincents.nsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 3 07:53:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Another week another challenge...

I have setup password protection on our apache server, using mod_auth_pam. It works!

I have set it at the root "/" level which applies to all sub-directories.
I am trying to overwrite this so that a particular directory is not prompted for a password. It still asks for a password however after making the following changes to httpd.conf:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "St Vincent's College Intranet"
        require valid-user
</Directory>

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sport">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Can anyone see a problem with this. Your expertise is appreciated...

Cheers,
Tom.