[Lias] netNOW NZ - Getting to the source

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at cisra.canon.com.au
Thu Apr 24 12:48:02 UTC 2003

ken_yap at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>>   Is the aim to teach children how to use software, or how to
>>   use one brand of software? Let me use this analogy. How many
>>   types of car can you drive? Whether they're diesel, petrol,
>>   manual, automatic, left or right-hand drive, a couple of
>>   seconds familiarity and you're away. Software's the same.
>

> I tried this argument on a recalcitrant teacher at one school. The
> software in question was OpenOffice. Later on I realised that his
> well-founded fear is that his pupils would pick it up faster than he
> can.

Yes... so tread lightly rather than agressively.  Few of us will be
placed in a similar position in our jobs!  It is not a sign of
incompitance - teachers are taught how to teach... they need to keep up
to date with teaching methods plus the material they must teach - which
keeps changing.  Not to mention student dynamics.

I don't personally like articles that claim linux on 386... If you are
going to put it in front of teachers and students then KDE and
openoffice is a _good_ idea - bing PIII 500 and 128M memory - lets be
reasonable about that.

And lets not forget the oodles of educational programs that are written
for windows (but not linux)

--
Andrew Dorrell