[Grants] Grant Application from Rowland Mosbergen for RSEAA24 Accessibility Fellowship

Rowland Mosbergen rowland.mosbergen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:51:58 AEST 2024

Thanks for the questions Sae Ra.

1. Let me answer the first part around "Open values and Open Methodologies,
as well as advocacy for "open" during the event.

Research software is usually quite open and we have tried to make this
conference as open as possible. The discussion topics that are part of the
core of the unconference are open access through a public github
repository.

The posters that will be submitted and approved will be through a
Zenodo community and will be open access. The report that the potential
fellow would write would also be put on Zenodo or Figshare so that it can
be open access as well.

I would be encouraging the fellow to create a Mastodon account to provide a
microblogging experience for people who may want to follow them during the
event.

During the event we will be talking a lot around open source software, as
many research software engineers use python, R, and other open source
software.

2. For the second part around the values of Open
Technology, Community, Freedom, Respect, and Diversity.

As for open technology, we recognise that github is not open but we have
made sure all the information is open access.

This is definitely a community event. For example the maximum price that
anyone would pay for the event is $30 Australian dollars. This is about
lowering the barrier to entry for the community to attend. This is why we
rely on sponsors and volunteers.

Freedom is mainly through the open access of the Zenodo community
where members can submit posters and we would approve appropriate posters.
We will be encouraging people submitting posters to have CC-BY-4.0
licenses.

As for respect we do obey lawful restrictions placed upon us particularly
with reference to licence in copyright and patents, to the best of our
ability. In particular, we really want to respect the most marginalised
people in our community by listening to them and recognising that we need
to support them. I think that this is just the start.

Diversity is one of the core principles of the event and is the main reason
why I am the founder of this event. I think this particular fellowship is a
potential example for other community events to be able to get good, honest
feedback from marginalised members of their communities in a proactive,
positive way.

I hope that clarifies things! I'm also happy to clarify further if it
hasn't.

Regards,

Rowland Mosbergen