[Grants] New Zealand Open Source Society Grant Request

Steven Ellis steven.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:25:04 AEST 2018

We've look at the current technology options being used by LA, and in part
it comes down to local capability within the NZOSS team. I did raise the
pathway LA was taking during our selection model and we've headed off down
a different route.

Also our membership model is somewhat different from LA as we're funded by
membership, grants and sponsorship rather than via events. We're currently
operating on a very low paid membership base and can't afford potentially
expensive infrastructure. If it wasn't for donated hosting from Catalyst
IT's Cloud we'd have some real issues, hence the request for funding.

We're currently focused on going live with our new environment
 - Odoo - for membership management
 - Stripe - for online payments
 - Drupal as the NZOSS frontend

In addition we're provided a bunch of shared services for a number of NZ
based community events and open source projects via our
 - RocketChat
 - GitLab
 - NextCloud + CollabraOffice

The concern is being able to pay for this infrastructure as we're currently
working of historical capital.

A couple of key current goals are
 - to make becoming a "paid" member easier
 - allow better access to some core facilities like the GitLab and
RocketChat environment.
 - boost our advocacy program

Steven