[Flounder] volunteers needed

DL Neil NZLUG at etelligence.info
Mon Mar 7 14:54:51 AEDT 2022

On 07/03/2022 16.09, Russell Coker via Flounder wrote:
> We need more volunteers to make this a successful group.
>
> The first and most important thing we need is more featured training events.
> This is a big thing to do, but shouldn't be that difficult for the developer
> of a system...

After a life-time of vocational training experience, I will be more than
happy to help people who would like to learn how put-together a
course/presentation, or perhaps would like a 'sounding-board' or someone
to practice-on (careful how you read that!).

> After the last meeting someone emailed me saying that they wanted to join but
> couldn't work out how.  Suggestions on how to impove the web site will be
> appreciated.  If anyone would like to help run the site that would be great
> too!

With due apologies to the individual, this is a common occurrence with
new organisations, and when using new tools - and we're 'enjoying' both!

The BigBlueButton meeting-URL was not mentioned at
https://flounder.linux.org.au/events/april-2022-mailserververs2/ Should
it have been?

In a university environment (per its gestation), BBB will often sit
'inside the network'. Accordingly, there are a few security features -
but not many. Some are more practicable in our situation than others.
That said, one of its 'easy to use' attractions is that there is no
central 'credentials' database - and thus no such 'overhead' admin-work.

The choices are:

1 'security through obscurity'
Some groups rely upon their small number of members to keep the URL
fairly unknown, but maintain the same URL for months/years. (cf nr 4)

2 'abracadabra'
A conference can be set to only admit members who know an Access Code.
Such a code would need to be distributed to intending attendees - and
presumably a new code generated for each meeting.

3 'gatekeeper'
A conference can similarly be set to only allow approved-persons to
attend. This would require someone to act as Cerberus (inverted). Also
that (s)he would have a list of members and/or intending attendees.

4 'rotational'
Each month/meeting/period, we generate a new URL for use. This would
have to be (re-)published in-advance, and confuses anyone who doesn't
realise the practice (by trying to use that which worked 'last time')

Per Russell's call for assistance, please note that options 2 and 3
require more 'work'/'workers' - both on the part of the attendee and of
some 'administrator'!

At the moment we've started at option-1. I'll be happy to facilitate as
you (Russell) and/or you (member) see fit...
--
Regards =dn