[Debian-au] re; re; 1st install

Peter Gossner gossner at arcom.com.au
Thu Dec 23 12:09:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 02:18, squareyes wrote:
> Hi all,
> once again my thanks,
> still have problems. Folders as below
> debian:/# ls
> bin    cdrom1  floppy  lib         opt   sbin  var
> boot   dev     home    lost+found  proc  tmp   vmlinuz
> cdrom  etc     initrd  mnt         root  usr   windows

OK so you made a /windows cool.
> /proc shows;
> debian:/# cd /proc/
> debian:/proc# ls
> 1    221  258  593  620  648          filesystems  locks       scsi
> 160  236  259  596  622  93           fs           meminfo     self
> 163  238  3    599  625  bigphysarea  ide          misc        slabinfo
> 168  241  4    602  629  bus          interrupts   modules     stat
> 176  248  5    610  631  cmdline      ioports      mounts      swaps
> 180  254  543  614  632  cpuinfo      kcore        mtrr        sys
> 2    255  544  615  633  devices      kmsg         net         tty
> 218  256  559  616  634  dma          ksyms        partitions  uptime
> 220  257  586  618  637  fb           loadavg      pci         version
> Character devices:
>   1 mem
>   2 pty
>   3 ttyp
>   4 ttyS
>   5 cua
>   7 vcs
>  10 misc
>  29 fb
> 128 ptm
> 136 pts
>
> Block devices:
>   1 ramdisk
>   2 fd
>   3 ide0
>   7 loop
>  22 ide1
>               -----------------------------------
>  Have added to fstab and now looks like below,

The first line does have a # at the start , right ?
>  /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <pass>
> /dev/hda1/      /windows        vfat    user,auto               0       0
> /dev/hda5       /               ext2    errors=remount-ro       0       1
> /dev/hda6       none            swap    sw                      0       0
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
> /dev/fd0       /floppy         auto     user,noauto             0       0
> /dev/cdrom      /cdrom        iso9660   ro,user,noauto          0       0
> /dev/cdrom1     /cdrom1       iso9660   ro,user,noauto          0       0
>               ------------------------------------
> Floppy, cdrom and cdrom1, windows,  all show in Konqueror menu,
> but can access none of them,cannot access even floppy drive.
> I have not installed Knoppix, running from CD, has saved me so far,
> as have been using the CD as operating system, internet connection etc.

As I said earlier I'm not sure what your trying to do if you have not
installed. Knoppix is very good (allbeit slow) for demos and emergency,
convenience etc. I thought knoppix had an installer on board.. somebody
else will have to confirm this.. (my copies are not here)

> /etc/group has dip:x:30:squareyes   so that seems OK,
> Have checked /etc/peers/  optusnet(my isp), and provider  with vi, seem OK.
> Tried adduser dip setup ,
# adduser winton dialup
>  pon initiates modem, but will not dial.
Hmm could be a lot of things what sort of modem do you have.
# lspci  should tell you
 most external modems work fine.
try this :
after attempting to connect to your ISP
plog > plogfile
lspci > pcifile
mail the files to me I will track down what I can.
(off list)
# plog gives you some more information
# man plog for info
> I am most interested in aptget which is why I am trying to install Deb,
> will check out
It's cool. I don't know how people stay sane without it.

> Ubuntu system if that has the same/similar features, without all the
> problems.
<aside>
Well no KDE but Gnome instead.
If your new to Linux and want to start a flame war post  mail bout KDE
being rubbish or better than Gnome or something.. It's stupid but people
get really intense about these things. They are in fact both fine. They
both have their place. With Linux/Debian/OpenSource you get real choice.
(some say too much :)

I don't use either (occasional gnome user).
It's definitely simpler by default.
With Debian (at least) you get access to all your apps anyway so no
matter as far as functionality goes.

Other than that ... I reckon Ubuntu is even better.
(than Knoppix)
Especially for most new users.
(that's just my opinion)
</aside>