[Cbsupport] Info: tar.gz how to unpack!

deBrouwer&Maxwell hortnfash at dodo.com.au
Sat May 31 07:57:02 UTC 2003

hi Everyone

In the deep old dark ages apparently you had to download a package and
it had a suffix or tail on it
tar.gz

Mostly you will apt-get install and have no problems but occasionally
debian does not something and someone else does
like tucows a linux based program

The first step is get it into root work that out yourself I have no answer

The second step is to unpack it that is the  easy part go
KStart/Utilities/Ark
It actually comes up automatically with me Ark (Archiving tool)
OIf you are adapting from MS Windows its the linux version of Zip to
unzip files

You select the ARK folder and click the Action/Extract

Then comes the really hard part you have to build it into the system and
there will be a read me file

It is way over my capabilities and I won't even do it now until I learn more

But it is amazing how many people who can build don't know about this
brilliant unpacking tool

It works better than MS Windows Zip

Please don't get a tar.gz download until you know what you are doing and
don't make my mistake and get something that is now unsupported

As a newbie like myself just stick with apt-get install its safer

Avery but Ark is really brilliant