[Cbsupport] # du -sh /var/cache

deBrouwer&Maxwell hortnfash at dodo.com.au
Fri Jun 27 05:13:01 UTC 2003

  Bill Farrow wrote:

>On Thursday 26 June 2003 21:06, deBrouwer&Maxwell wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone
>>
>>If I run df-h Its say 90% as well
>>Can it be something to do with the cache
>>

>It could be your /var/cache/apt directory. Try this command to have a
>look at the space used in /var/cache
>
>  # du -sh /var/cache/*

539M
home/Avery 886K + 9.9M =?
home/David 1233K

What's that 12 M personal files?   I'm not sure the difference between K
and M I think K is 1000Bytes and I think M is 1 000 000Bytes

I think there is somethingextra in the cache but I don't know what it is

Since the -d dist-upgrade there is extra stuff in kstart/quick
brower/home/avery there is all this  package stuff I don't know what it is
If I click on the Konqueror/home I can only bring it up if I click on
show hidden files
Its on home/david only when clicking on show hidden files in konqueror/home

In  kstart/system/info centre/memory
Disk Cache 42%
disk buffer 9.5M
Application Data 46%
free memory 3M
this is only approximate as it keeps changes

>On my system, running Debian Sid, I have 2.4G in /var/cache/apt. Time
>for a clean I think.
>
>I am pretty sure that you can do an "apt-get autoclean" without
>loosing anything usefull. It only removes the packages are so old
>that you can't download them any more.

I'm very hesitant about running this I think I need to get advice from
Computerbank on this

>A bigger HDD would be good too :-) But then I have a 486 laptop with a
>300MB drive, and it is running Debian Sid too.  I don't have any
>office suites or large window managers like KDE on it, just a lean
>mean Blackbox window manager.

It should run fine on 2.3 hdd ide all the other Computerbank Computers do
Avery