[Cbsupport] Re: hiedi and getting gaim going / flash installed

Kylie Davies mailkylie at optushome.com.au
Mon Apr 28 21:28:02 UTC 2003

Hi again Hiedi,

Yep - you got the right place... :)

I also got your other messages and have advised others about them...
but first lets try another way before we send someone out to your place...

If you can get onto XChat (see instructions  repeated below - the ones
given to Avery) and join the computerbank channel someone may be there
and may be able to help you remotely. Perhaps... try going
online...anytime ...and say something in the channel...if someone is
there they will answer. It appears like there are people there always
(they have cable / 24 hours a day connections) but they could be away
from their computers so might not see whats being typed into the window
and won't respond.

Most (flash/yahoo/abc) of what you are requesting is possible (although
I'm not sure what you mean by the moving emails business) it's just a
matter of getting the right software updates (i think we/you have to
update your GAIM) and download and install flash. I think the software
package list (sources.list) sources file is broken and needs changing so
that it points somewhere live... That's the first part, and then it
needs updating, and then you need to get software. Thats the short of
it; it's a much more detailed  process involving commands and becoming
the super user (root). At the moment I am pressed for time, however I do
plan on writing a newbie basics on apt-get / understanding sources.list
very soon.

If someone else want's to jump in and offer help in the meantime -
please feel free....

Cheers,

Kylie

---