[Aslug] Linux Standard Base is V1.0!

Adrian Casey axiiom at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 2 20:26:41 UTC 2001

We discussed this topic breifly at a recent meeting and all agreed that one
thing which is hurting Linux in the corporate world is the lack of standards
across distros.  Well, after a long haul, the LSB has hit V1.0.  This is
great news for all Linux users.  Details at http://www.linuxbase.org.

Another topic we've recently coverd is that of competing package management.
The two main contenders are RedHat's RPM and Debian's apt-get.  Well, the
good folks at Connectiva have produced a hybrid known as 'apt-rpm'.  This is
another excellent example of opensource evolution.  Details at
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2780164,00.html

Please note that due to the Alice Springs Show this weekend, we will not be
meeting next Tuesday (June 10th).  The next meeting will be Tuesday, June
24th.

See you all the show!

Cheers.
Adrian.