[Announce] [lca-announce] lca2011 is Going Ahead!

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Wed Jan 19 01:22:50 EST 2011

Howdy,

On behalf of the Linux Australia council and the community in general
I would like to send out a big congratulations to the linux.conf.au
2011 team.

I think they are doing an amazing job in dealing with an extremely
difficult situation. Now, with a change of venue they are effectively
having to plan a linux.conf.au in one week instead of 12 months.

Having worked with the team in our council meetings over the last few
months I know that they are more than up to the challenge and that
linux.conf.au 2011 will yet again be the amazing conference we
have all come to know and love.

Cheers,
John
President, Linux Australia

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 07:42:27PM +1000, linux.conf.au Announcements wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Some great news - the lca2011 team and Linux Australia have made a joint decision that lca2011 will go ahead!
>
> At this stage the venue location is still to be confirmed as are a number of social events, though there are some backup plans in place.
>
> We are aware that Urbanest is still without power but expect power to be restored on Thursday.  Should Urbanest be unavailable - backup accommodation has been confirmed at the residential colleges at the University of Queensland (Near St Leo's).  Delegates who are not staying at St Leo's or Urbanest should check with their accommodation provider on availability, prior to travelling.
>
> lca2011 Mythbuster #1 - Brisbane's water is fine and very very drinkable
>
> lca2011 Mythbuster #2 - Brisbane has not run out of food (although some restaurants will have a limited menu)
>
> lca2011 Mythbuster #3 - public transport is operational (though some routes are still affected).  Unfortunately, the Brisbane CityCat service is out of action till further notice.
>
> lca2011 Mythbuster #4 - lca2011 has not been cancelled
>
> The lca2011 team will keep you continually updated via email and the website.  We expect to announce a confirmed venue by Wednesday evening - but please remember we do have back up plans here and lca2011 is going ahead.  There may be some changes in the schedule but it will be a great conference nonetheless.
>
> The team encourages everyone to still come to Brisbane and support local business and the community - we need your support!
>
> We understand the community wants to support the conference in as many ways as possible.  Can you please fill out the form at:
>
> https://conf.linux.org.au/wiki/Volunteer/People
>
> NB: You will need to be registered and logged into the conference website to be able to edit this page.
>
> Cheers
> Shaun & the lca2011 team

> Dr Shaun Nykvist
> lca2011 - director
>
> Email: shaun at lca2011.linux.org.au
> Phone: +61 7 3103 7998
> Mobile: +61 417767445
> Postal: PO Box 2010, 557 Settlement Rd, Keperra QLD 4054, Australia
>
> http://linux.conf.au/
>
> Follow the flow to Brisbane - check out the great line up of miniconfs!

John
Blog                             http://www.inodes.org
LCA2011                          http://www.lca2011.org.au