[Linux-aus] Re: [Announce] Re: [Osia-discuss] Copyright Legislation Amendment Bill 2004

Kim Weatherall k.weatherall at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 01:59:45 UTC 2004

I've posted some thoughts:
http://weatherall.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_weatherall_archive.html#110186612070834709

The temporary copy stuff is a bit troubling, because they've narrowed the
exceptions even more, with the result that a whole lot of temporary copies
are now going to be infringements.  This could make it a lot harder, in the
long term, to argue that technological protection measures are not
"preventing infringements".  In particular, as I read the temporary copy
stuff, not only all playing of unauthorised DVDs/Movies is now going to be
an infringement, but also quite a lot of playing of authorised copies made
overseas could potentially be infringing.  and THAT could mean that
circumvention devices aimed at getting over market segmentation practices
will definitely become illegal.

Cheers

Kim

At 11:17 AM 1/12/2004 +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 10:01 +1100, Con Zymaris wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:24:24AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > this bill was presented to the House of Reps yesterday. Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > http://parlinfoweb.aph.gov.au/piweb/browse.aspx?NodeID=29
> > >
> > > If the web page doesn't work then find the "Current" bills from the
> > > "Bills" link of the main page, and browse down to the "Copyright
> > > Legislation Amendment Bill 2004". Does anyone know where the Copyright
> > > Legislation is so we can look at how the changes work? (IANAL :)
> > >

> > we need another re-direct to the info. I get:
> >
> >  ParlInfo Web Browse Connection Timeout
> >
> >  Your connection to the ParlInfo Web server has timed out and your browse
> >  information have been lost. You can restart your browse using the link
>
>As written above :)
>
>Go to the main site http://parlinfoweb.aph.gov.au, click on "Bills",
>then "Current Bills (by title)", then browse down to the Copyright one.
>This is the link I was given and although it didn't work for me either,
>I looked at the node number and figured it out.
>
>Still need one of our lawyer friends to help out with where the original
>bill is so the changes make sense. Brendan?
>
>Cheers,
>Pia
>
>--
>Pia Smith
>President of Linux Australia
>http://linux.org.au

____________________________

Kimberlee Weatherall
Associate Director and Lecturer
Intellectual Property Research Institute of Australia (http://www.ipria.org)
Law School, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Ph: (61 3) 8344 1120 Fax: (61 3) 9348 2353
Email: k.weatherall at unimelb.edu.au
Web Log: http://weatherall.blogspot.com

DISCLAIMER: this email and any attachments may contain personal information
or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright.
Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The
University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free
from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and
defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please
delete it and notify us by return email.  Please note also that the
University does not necessarily share or endorse the views expressed in
this email.