[Announce] Re: [Linux-aus] Legality of automatically assigning membership

Pia Smith president at linux.org.au
Fri May 2 00:46:52 UTC 2003

Hi all,

First of all, an apology to Brad for not getting back to him sooner.
Unfortunately our responses are not always as prompt as we'd like, but
we are getting through quote a few :)

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 18:25, Brad Hards wrote:
> On what basis is the automatic membership considered constitutional?

One of the first things we discussed was the consitution and how legit
the preceedings at LCA Perth were. The decision was made by the previous
committee in an attempt to jump start the organisation to be something
better for everyone. All people who attended LCA had on their receipt
notice of their free membership to LA, with the idea that if anyone
didn't want it, they could let LA know.

As James mentioned we also had the forms to fill out in the LCA bags,
and we received quite a few of them back, we also had a few people wish
to not be a member, so they were taken off the membership.

Jons suggestion for the "Do you want free Linux Australia membership"
check box on the registration page is an excellent idea (hence this
being forwarded to lca2004 organisers :) thanks Jon!) and certainly
takes care of the current issue for next year.

We have a team of people (headed by Stewart) who are working on what
exact constitution changes need to be made, and we will be presenting
them at the next AGM to sort it all out. Anyone with an interest is
welcome to email him or the committee.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day it is already done. We really want
to do what we can for the community, and build this organisation into
something useful and interesting for the Australian Linux community.
Hopefully we can get all the internal stuff sorted out this year so that
next year Linux Australia will not have the same problems :)

Our minutes are now up publicly under "Committee News" at
http://linux.org.au We've had them publicly accessible for a while but
they weren't anywhere sane until recently.

Thanks and regards,
Pia

--
Pia Smith <president at linux.org.au>