Re: [PHPwestoz] Template Engines

Evan Barter wrote:

Nicolas Connault wrote:

Ok, I'm getting really confused now. Voices are crying out all over the place about template engines (smarty is foremost in mind), and they all seem to disagree. I find Smarty extremely useful for a number of reasons which are difficult to express (call it my comfort zone!), but articles are popping up everywhere saying that it's no good, and then don't really show any viable alternative.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I've never been a fan of Smarty. It just feels too bloated straight off the bat. It's like trying to pick up another language just to handle something which should be, in my opinion, really simple. That's why I advocate the less complex template systems. Unfortunately I can't recommend one for you because I stopped looking around years ago and just decided to develop my own. If you *really* want, I could dig up the last one I was working on but that'd require a fair bit of cleaning up before it might be worthwhile (it was damn fast, however!).

I agree with Evan's comments on Smarty here, and when templating is an issue I tend to swing towards phpBB2's templating engine. It was custom-developed, is extremely fast, and now has caching abilities. THe new one in CVS (for phpBB 2.2) is extremely good. With a little tweaking to take it away from phpBB-dependant routines, it becomes a brilliant little engine for generic use. Give it a go.