[PHPwestoz] Template Engines

Ok, I'm getting really confused now. Voices are crying out all over the place about template engines (smarty is foremost in mind), and they all seem to disagree. I find Smarty extremely useful for a number of reasons which are difficult to express (call it my comfort zone!), but articles are popping up everywhere saying that it's no good, and then don't really show any viable alternative.

What do you guys think? Should I just give up PHP altogether and start Ruby?

Ignore that last question, the first one is the topic :-)

Nicolas