[Linux-aus] contest proposal

jon.maddog.hall@gmail.com jonhall80 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 15:19:33 AEDT 2024

David,

To me there are more than one type of memory profiling:

o one that shows how an individual program uses memory and therefore can show if an individual program is a "pig"
o another shows how a running system is allocating its memory among all the running (and sleeping) processes

Both really need to be studied.

Another thing that could come out of this contest is a set of easy to understand rules for how new (and even experienced) users might tune their system to get both good user experience and good performance.

md