[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Wil Brown wil at zeropointdevelopment.com
Wed Jan 3 21:02:51 AEDT 2024

I think the idea of an LA open-source contest/awards is a fantastic
proposal.

> As far as the reward is concerned, I *personally* would be less in favour
of physical trophies and more supportive of a small monetary award.  To me,
spending $20 on a trophy that sits on a shelf gathering dust is not all
that practical.
> However, I am only one voice and in any case this is detail that can be
worked through in due course, perhaps by a small team of people formed to
run the contest if that's where things end up.

And/or names and awards added to a section on the LA website, with the
council's approval, of course?

Wil.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 1:28 PM Jonathan Woithe via linux-aus <
linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 03:16:08PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Monday, 1 January 2024 14:13:32 AEDT Jonathan Woithe via linux-aus
> wrote:
> > > My understanding of your message is that you would like the 2024 LA
> Council
> > > to consider the suggestion when Council is formed following the
> election.
> > > Is this your intention?
> >
> > If we are in a formal shutdown phase before the election then I guess
> that
> > the new council would be involved.  But also the organisers of Everything
> > Open 2024 can consider it.  We have had programming contests at LCAs in
> > the past so there is precedent for awards for getting things done during
> > LCA.
>
> Thanks for confirming your thoughts, and to everyone who has provided
> suggestions thus far.  Please keep the ideas flowing.
>
> It is true that the LA Council is effectively in caretaker mode in the lead
> up to the election.  Once constituted, I expect the 2024 Council will
> consider the ideas raised in this thread and see what might be practical.
> If re-elected to Council I will make sure it is raised (although I expect
> this to happen as a matter of course).
>
> As far as the reward is concerned, I *personally* would be less in favour
> of
> physical trophies and more supportive of a small monetary award.  To me,
> spending $20 on a trophy that sits on a shelf gathering dust is not all
> that
> practical.  However, I am only one voice and in any case this is detail
> that
> can be worked through in due course, perhaps by a small team of people
> formed to run the contest if that's where things end up.
>
> Regards
>   jonathan

Wil Brown

*WordPress Consultant, Developer & Educator at **Zero Point Development
<https://zeropointdevelopment.com/>*
*Vice President of Linux Australia <https://linux.org.au/>*
*WordPress Community Deputy*

*m. 0423 526 829 <+61423526829>  **w. zeropointdevelopment.com
<https://zeropointdevelopment.com?utm_source=wil-zpd-email-signature>
t. @WilBrown_AU <https://twitter.com/WilBrown_AU>  LIn. LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/developerwil/>*

*Get my FREE business courses <https://community.wilbrown.com/>. 👩‍🎓*