[Linux-aus] contest proposal

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Tue Jan 2 13:28:03 AEDT 2024

On Mon, Jan 01, 2024 at 03:16:08PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Monday, 1 January 2024 14:13:32 AEDT Jonathan Woithe via linux-aus wrote:
> > My understanding of your message is that you would like the 2024 LA Council
> > to consider the suggestion when Council is formed following the election.
> > Is this your intention?
>
> If we are in a formal shutdown phase before the election then I guess that
> the new council would be involved.  But also the organisers of Everything
> Open 2024 can consider it.  We have had programming contests at LCAs in
> the past so there is precedent for awards for getting things done during
> LCA.

Thanks for confirming your thoughts, and to everyone who has provided
suggestions thus far.  Please keep the ideas flowing.

It is true that the LA Council is effectively in caretaker mode in the lead
up to the election.  Once constituted, I expect the 2024 Council will
consider the ideas raised in this thread and see what might be practical.
If re-elected to Council I will make sure it is raised (although I expect
this to happen as a matter of course).

As far as the reward is concerned, I *personally* would be less in favour of
physical trophies and more supportive of a small monetary award.  To me,
spending $20 on a trophy that sits on a shelf gathering dust is not all that
practical.  However, I am only one voice and in any case this is detail that
can be worked through in due course, perhaps by a small team of people
formed to run the contest if that's where things end up.

Regards
  jonathan