[Linux-aus] cancelling membership of Linux Australia; NLA losing bookmarks when they migrated to FOLIO

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu Feb 29 21:48:31 AEDT 2024

Dwight,

Let me tackle the issues here one by one.

1. The FOLIO Tweet

Sae Ra's Tweet [1] was direct, to the point, and clear about the facts.
It did not "have a go" at you, as you claimed on this list and also on
Twitter, and more to the point, it did not represent, nor purport to
represent the views of Linux Australia. You have inferred this,
incorrectly. Sae Ra's response stands. NLA could choose to install
whatever they want for their cataloguing system - it's their decision.
The fact they have installed FOLIO which is open source is a great step
forward, and it's unfortunate that your bookmarks in the previous
platform were unable to be migrated. That is not Sae Ra's doing, and she
should not be the target of your ire. I see that you have subsequently
taken this up with NLA and they have responded appropriately.

2. Ending membership of Linux Australia

You are correct, per your tweet [2] and the subsequent email to this
list, that there is no mechanism, bar emailing Linux Australia (which
folks can do via the Contact Us page [3]), to rescind one's membership
of Linux Australia. Linux Australia Constitution section S(4) "Cessation
of Membership" [4] does not specify how a member must resign their
membership, simply that their membership ceases when they resign (4)(b).
We are not obliged to have a "cancel membership" button on the website,
and, frankly, the development effort of doing that, for the rare cases
it happens, is unlikely to be worth it.

If you wish to cease your membership, I am sure Council, and
specifically the Secretary, who manages membership, will rapidly oblige.

3. The difference between advocating for change and whinging about
things that aren't to your liking

Lastly, I want to make a comment here about the difference between
advocating for change and whinging about things that you don't like in
an organisation. There is a place for both. There are things we all
don't like about the organisations we work for, and volunteer with.

There are two ways to deal with this state of affairs.

The first is to choose to do something constructive about it - advocate
for change by influencing people, providing options, offering to carry
the load and the effort to make that change happen --- "I'd really like
to see us do X! Here's a plan, and here's what I can do to help. Here's
what I need from you all. What do you think?". This sometimes works,
sometimes doesn't. Sometimes priorities or plans don't align. But you
tried *constructively*.

The second is to have a whinge. Having a whinge is totally fine. We all
need to vent sometimes. But when all you do is whinge, and do nothing
constructive, people stop listening. You lose your power to make change
because your whinging is whinging. The people you want to convince to do
things differently dismiss you as a whinger, not a doer - not someone
who makes things happen, who steps up, who we can work with - but
someone who complains about the things other people do, without helping
the situation.

You've had your whinge. What are you going to do that's constructive?

Kathy Reid

[1] https://x.com/ms_mary_mac/status/1762355206795518199?s=20

[2] https://twitter.com/dwightwalker/status/1762865510147060006

[3] https://linux.org.au/contact/