[Linux-aus] cancelling membership of Linux Australia; NLA losing bookmarks when they migrated to FOLIO

Dwight Walker dwight at wwwalker.com.au
Thu Feb 29 19:06:14 AEDT 2024

When National Library of Australia (NLA) migrated to FOLIO open source
library software in November 2023 they lost all bookmarks in their
catalogue I had saved over 10 years of research plus many from other users
including many from librarians who work for NLA. I only discovered it this
week when I had to change login to email from userid. The vendor said no
bookmarks could be migrated so they were all lost. What a waste of
information!

I complained to NLA if it was open source library software they could have
emailed CSV of bookmarks to each user using SQL query like in Koha open
source library software can do but they wouldn't or didn't know how and
everyone now had to just start with no bookmarks again and dredge them up
again somehow or find others or the same ones again by search in the time
ahead.

Luckily I saved a few bookmarks on NLA into my own private database of
bookmarks and browser bookmarks and history with domain nla.gov.au so
could scrounge some back. Now I won't save bookmarks to NLA but only to my
private database only in case they migrate again and lose them all again.

>From Linux Australia I got that any software commercial or open source
could have stuffed up this migration and lost bookmarks like that and not
to complain and be glad NLA have migrated to open source software not
commercial software.

That was not right in my view. People are allowed to complain. FOLIO is
difficult software to program or setup compared to Koha and I feel they
picked the wrong library software and should have picked Koha instead and
saved this whole issue by writing SQL reports which are easy to do in Koha
not FOLIO.

--
Dwight Walker
WWWalker Web Development Pty Ltd