[Linux-aus] RISC-V

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Oct 24 19:52:31 AEDT 2023

RISC-V is the newest CPU architecture and as it's available for free while the
ARM company has a market cap of over $50 billion at the moment presumably
because they are expected to get something in excess of $5.5 billion a year in
ARM license fees.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/risc-v-laptop-looks-like-thinkpad

I think that RISC-V is a platform that can be fun to develop on, educational,
and good for the community.  The above article about a $299 RISC-V mini laptop
is interesting, it's not my favourite form factor but some people really like
it and 16G of RAM is impressive.

https://sipeed.com/licheepi4a

The above page from the licheepi manufacturer gives specs of the LicheePi
(like Raspberry Pi), LicheeCluster, LicheePad, and LicheeConsole (the mini
laptop).

The mini laptop has nice motherboard specs including WiFi6, BT5.4, and 16G of
DDR4 RAM.  It also strangely is advertised as running VS Code, MS doesn't
mention support for RISC-V in VS Code so I wonder if that is under emulation.
It is let down by having a 1280*800 screen (lower than all desirable phones).

The tablet has a 1920*1200 screen and 16G of RAM which is unusually large for
a tablet and has connectivity options that match what you expect from a laptop
not a tablet.  It's 1cm thick which is unusual for a tablet, but other than
that it's specs compete well with regular Android tablets.

https://pine64.com/product/pinetab-v-10-1-8gb-128gb-risc-v-based-linux-tablet-with-detached-backlit-keyboard/

Pine64 also has a RISC-V laptop for $209US but it has only a 1280*800 display.

https://linux.org.au/grants-program/

I think it would be good if we could get a group of people who are interested
in doing FOSS development on the RISC-V platform and apply for a LA grant to
buy a collection of hardware.  The grants program is open until the end of
November so if we could get a group of 5+ people who are interested in
developing it then I think we could make some good progress.

Yifei I would appreciate some input from you on the sipheed stuff because most
of the web site appears to be in Chinese and I couldn't even find prices.