[Linux-aus] printer advice

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed May 31 01:35:26 AEST 2023

> What's a good color multi-function printer (IE printer with built in scanner)?
> Only needs to work with Linux.

If you're on a budget, have a look on Gumtree.  I got a colour laser
printer/scanner for $1 and it has worked perfectly under Linux for many
years (although admittedly I only print a few things a year).  A laser
is much better than ink-based if you're printing infrequently because
you don't have to deal with dried up ink and clogged print heads.

Most networked lasers will speak PostScript or PCL (and you can check
the docs to confirm) and those will work fine with CUPS.  I can't speak
for the scanning function but if SANE lists it as a supported model
then you will be good to go.

I found a separate document scanner on Gumtree (a dedicated scanner
that can scan a hundred or so sheets of double-sided paper in one
continuous operation), and it also cost me only $1, because the vendor
never released 64-bit Windows drivers so after some point it became
useless to its original owner.  But SANE supported it just fine.

So there is plenty of decent hardware available on the cheap if you're
willing to go second-hand, and because it's been around for a while
there's a better than average chance it'll be well supported under
Linux.  Older hardware (especially higher-end stuff) is also less likely
to be vendor locked for the ink/toner as David mentioned so that's
another benefit too.

Cheers
Adam.