[Linux-aus] SMTP Server recommendations

lists at ebourne.me.uk lists at ebourne.me.uk
Fri Jun 9 18:07:00 AEST 2023

Hi Russell,

I run my postfix on Linode. They are lot more savvy and flexible than
many other VPS providers, and have a range of locations to choose from
for latency.

Despite having DMARC/SPF set up the problem is still one of server
reputation. Companies and organisations using Microsoft's hosted email
which is backed by outlook.com are a real problem. Despite trying to
jump through the Microsoft white listing process I've had no luck with
it.

For outlook.com I eventually gave up and put that through an SMTP relay
service which has helped (using smtpd_sender_restrictions with
check_recipient_mx_access). I use sendgrid.com which for my level of
traffic is free, and has worked. In recent months gmail has started
putting my emails in spam, even for people I regularly communicate
with, and even if I reply to their emails. Gmail's spam filtering is
clearly not very good. I might have to switch gmail destinations to
route through sendgrid.net as well.

Regards,
Martin