[Linux-aus] Linux Phone and Convergence progress

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Tue Jul 18 10:54:37 AEST 2023

On Sat, Jul 08, 2023 at 20:32:50 +1000, Russell Coker via linux-aus wrote:
> https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/06/06/pinephonepro-first-impression/
>
> I received my PinePhone and did some tests with it, I wrote the above blog
> post about it.  Since then I have got KDE running on it and found it much more
> to my taste than GNOME.
>
> https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/07/08/sandboxing-phone-apps/

Great write up - thanks for that Russell.

I'm running NixOS + Phosh on both my PinePhone and Librem5. I find that despite
all the determination I can muster to make these devices usable in a similar
manner to my Android devices the biggest barrier appears to be RAM.

I have the Braveheart Pinephone and the Evergreen Librem5 - both of which have
3G of RAM.

Did you get the PinePhone Pro with 4GB RAM? If so, how do you find common apps,
like Librewolf (or firefox), the terminal, Chatty (messaging), Geary (email)
and newsflash (RSS reader) run at the same time and how do they handle the
constrained memory?

For me, opening more than two at present significantly degrades performance and
three or more can cause genuine problems.

After putting significant effort into trying to make this models my primary
phone, I'm considering scaling my expectations back to "terminal + webrowser +
mobile internet" _or_ buying the PinePhone Pro.

Have you tried this usage or are you more focussed on the sandboxing side?

--
Craige McWhirter
Signal: +61 4685 91819
Mastodon: @craige at mcwhirter.io