Re: [Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Brenda Aynsley wrote:

universities are offered the opportunity to submit their courses for accreditation with ACS (its a no/low cost exercise from ACS' perspective but a lot of work for the University, just like becoming an ISO9000 compliant company is). Those courses that students do which are accredited make it a no-brainer to be elegible for membership of ACS. Perhaps you might ask the university if their course that your partner did was accredited, if not, why not?

Hi Brenda,

Honours year and other research-oriented degrees cannot have
ACS accreditation. The ACS accreditation is for degrees by
coursework. The ACS wants to see coverage of particular
curriculum items in an accredited degree; such coverage can't
occur in a degree by research since those degrees necessarily
have a narrow but intense focus upon one item.

This leads to an issue where someone holds a degree by coursework
in a field other than computing with later degrees by research
in computing.  This is a longstanding problem: I first heard about
this in 1985 when exploring if my BA with majors in Computing/Math/
Economics met the ACS criteria.

Cheers,
Glen