[Linux-aus] Re: IRC Network for Linux Australia

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:20:50PM +1000, James Purser wrote:
> For those of you who may not know, we have been operating an IRC channel
> on the Freenode network for Linux Australia. Given the recent issues
> freenode has been experiencing (cracks and such) as well as the fact
> that Linux Australia actually runs a node on the OFTC IRC network (a
> fact only rediscovered a few months back) it has been suggested that we
> move the channel to OFTC.
>
> I would like to hear comments before we make a decision, do you feel
> that we should stick with Freenode? Or should we follow projects such as
> Debian and move to OFTC?

Bad reasons to switch:

* Because Debian did it (I'm still not 100% sure why Debian moved; there was
	a lot of "we should move because of reason X", but I don't recall
	any final "we're moving because of reason X");

* Because FreeNode got hacked (OFTC could be done tomorrow, especially
	considering the lack of knowledge about how FreeNode got done).

Good reasons to switch:

* irc.linux.org.au points there -- although that could be changed quickly
	enough;

* We run a node on OFTC (although Linux Australia supports a lot of things
	that we, as a community, don't necessarily utilise directly).

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really bother me, since I've got
lengthy channel lists on both networks.  Just as long as it gets a bit of
publicity here if it is decided to move, so I know to switch, I have no
strong opinion on the matter.

- Matt

--
Some people are like slinkies.  They are fun and don't actually serve any
real purpose, but they still make you smile when you push them down the